Saturday, 28 March 2015

Silverstone Half Marathon

Hi folks! First of all I must apologise for the delay in writing this. It is a week and a day since this run but I have had technical difficulties such as leaving my phone charger in my hotel room. Then to my surprise I switch my phone on and it is almost dead and needs recharging. It did die in the end but anyway I digress, all is well now.
So I did it! What a fabulous day. Our hotel was in the middle of nowhere so no need to go and explore, it was 2 miles from Silverstone but had a quaint Green Man pub attached to it where we would have breakfast. As we arrived too early to check in we went there for lunch and both enjoyed scampi and chips. Glynn was of course able to have a beer where as I stuck to lemonade. Good girl. Our room was huge and from our window we could see the car park and thus our car. An early night was called for and we woke up the next day to fog! We couldn't see the trees beyond the car park! Breakfast was wonderful and since the run doesn't start until noon I had plenty of time to digest it so stocked up on plenty of carbs in the form of toast and jam. The fog had lifted but it was a mighty cold day. A short drive to the F1 car park. Once parked my beloved took a photo of our car so as not to forget where he had parked it LOL. Then there is a 30 minute walk from the car park to the circuit. This could be a killer for us runners on the way back but then again this circuit wasn't designed for runners. I was so excited to see the track and to be doing this! We got there, first glimpses as we walk there. Following the queue and once inside it was a matter of taking a look around. A small charity village resided in the pit lane and there were plenty of places to get a snack and a hot drink including a canadian pancake house. So cold and I do have a semi-migraine and feel abit queasy. If I'd had a full blown one I would have had to cancel and been inconsolable. Having recently read some sound runners advice that a coffee before running is okay, we had a coffee. Let me tell you it was cold and abit windy. I was pleased though because I knew that this is my kind of running weather. I attached my time tag and my race number 7819. I also had my Garmin watch for my own accurate timing. Then our photoshoot. About 11.30am I made my way to the track. This run was 3 different laps and started and finished at Copse Corner. Seems like a long time when you are standing in the cold. I got chatting to a very bubbly girl who was doing this as training for the London Marathon in 5 weeks time. She asked why I was doing it it and I told her about Starfish.She replied 'oh thats good work, very humbling Sarah'. Such comments are rewarding and heartwarming and always welcome.
As I passed the start line I started my Garmin watch and you have to be in this situation to understand how it feels, you really do have to be there. I took it steady and really enjoyed it despite my mini-migraine. I was grateful for the cool weather and the fact that it never rained. I managed to resist the urge to use the portable toilets and was rather pleased with myself about this lol. When I picked up a bottle of lucazades sports I wished I hadn't. I gagged on it but it did alleviate my headache for a while. At this time John Lennon was on the radio and I found myself singing along to Imagine. This felt great! My headache did return a short while after but I kept on going  with a renewed sense of energy. At times I wondered where Glynn was and just as I wondered where he was he would suddenly appear, call my name and click his camera. That was fun! There were 7000 runners here which is not alot, certainly alot less than I am used to. Anyway, it made for a lonely-ish run but you know what, I didn't mind this at all. To my surprise I turned a corner and there was a bridge so I had to run uphill for a few yards. Quite a few spectators on this bridge including Glynn *flash, flash* another picture! He muttered something about only being at the half way stage implying I should hurry up. I wondered if he would like to swap places. He was wrong anyway, this was 8 miles which is of course more than halfway ;) Still a steady pace I enjoyed the rest of the track and was somewhat amused to see that signs along the course hadn't been moved. Signs such as 'no overtaking' 'brake now'. Well it is an F1 course afterall I guess and perhaps its just my sense of humour. Of course towards the end I was feeling tired but very proud and at that stage where I could've kept on running anyway. I was beginning to wonder where the finishline was. It is supposed to be near where we started it didn't look like it. I turned a corner and there it was. and there was Glynn too. So I went for it and am thankful for the supporters there cheering us on. Across the line in 3 hours and immediately collecting my medal and goodie bag. The weight of my bag was not insignificant. I wondered what was in there. My medal felt a good weight too as I put it around my neck. 85grams. It is a wheel, naturally so quite different to my other medals. Very very happy I can't stop smiling. We do the usual post run photo shoot and I start to cool down. Every muscle in my body is aching but I don't care and I have no blisters. I am a runner! We walk 30 minutes back to the car and on the way Glynn says he is suitably proud and impressed. He doesn't say this often. What a marvellous day and achievement. Thank you Silverstone, I would come back and do this again. Thank you for reading if you got this far. My eternal gratitude to everyone who sponsored me and supported me. You have been doing so all along and it is precious. Your positive vibes are appreciated and make all the difference and you know how important the work is that Starfish does. I will be back to let you know the final amount of funds I have raised. Please see the links on the right to view photo's on Rutgers website and even more on mine. Bless you xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment